Sunday, August 7, 2011

Whole Foods Mergeza Lamb Sausages

I do love Whole Foods. Where else can one find eggs from New Zealand and octopus salad? I like to spend a lot of time in the meat and poultry section during my Whole Foods treks. I am always looking for something new and exciting. Food makes me wildly happy and shopping for food rates up there with shoes.  Last week I discovered the lamb Mergeza sausage.  The Mergeza sausage is typically a spicy, red sausage made from mutton, lamb, beef, or a mixture seasoned with chili pepper or harissa, sumac, fennel, and garlic stuffed into a lamb intestine casing. The Whole Foods Mergeza is made from just lamb and spices.

At first glance they looked a lot like chorizo which is one of my favorite childhood flavors. My digestive system however would prefer the spicy flavor of the chorizo to stay in my childhood where it belongs. I am not a huge lamb fan unless the lamb has been seasoned so well that it doesn't taste like lamb. Needless to say I took my first bite with a wee bit of hesitation.

 My taste buds were met with what at first tasted a bit like chorizo but with half the heat. I could taste the harissa immediately. As I continued to chew I was met with the strong gamey flavor of lamb. Gaminess is a huge obstacle for me. I have a typical American palate that can't quite handle strong flavors in meat. I have found ways to get around this problem when preparing liver pate and other lamb dishes. The gaminess of these sausages is too strong for me. Shame really as they probably would have been tastier had they been spicier. I had them with eggs and they distorted the taste of the eggs as well. My husband however loved them.  If you enjoy strong flavors in meat and a little heat Whole Foods' Lamb Mergueza sausages would be a wonderful addition to your breakfast menu.

2 comments:

  1. Just bought some Mergeza sausage... and loved it! I always check the meat and fish counters, and discovered Mergeza, and, liking lamb, knew it would be a hit... and it was ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sausages from Whole Foods are great!

    I have heard people describe certain meats as "gamey." What does that even mean? I don't understand. It tastes just fine to me.

    ReplyDelete