Sunday, July 17, 2011

Herb and Garlic Pork Tenderloin

I don't cook a lot of pork outside of bacon or the occasional pork belly. Pork can be beautiful or it can be wretched. Most of the time it is either too salty or just too dry and chewy. The worst pork I ever ate was in a Chinese style restaurant. I believe it was trying to be sweet and sour pork. It was a terrible rubbery mess that would have made a better small bouncy ball than actual food. I do love the flavor of pork and acknowledge that if we ever moved to Israel I would probably be arrested in a dark alley for buying apple wood smoked bacon on the black market. Venturing beyond fatty pork has been an enjoyable venture.  Lately I have been partial to pork tenderloin due to its wonderful succulent nature.

I made this last night for my husband's birthday along with a lovely platter of steamed asparagus and an avocado salad. Everyone loved it!

Herb and Garlic Tenderloin

What you need:

3 Pork Tenderloins, the more you make the merrier you will be!

1 Sweet onion cut into rings, you can use 2 if you really like onions.

5- 7 cloves garlic, whole and peeled. You can gently crush them or just throw them in.

6-8 sprigs of fresh herbs chopped. I prefer fresh marjoram, oregano, a little thyme and winter savory. This recipe is a reason why everyone should have a little herb garden. Herbs grow beautifully in pots!

2-3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
1/4 cup water or white wine

Spices-
Freshly ground pepper to taste
A nice sprinkling of salt, I prefer sea salt or REAL Salt. Google it!
1 teaspoon mustard seeds, crushed
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

The key to spice is to know what you like. If you want a little more garlic or onion add more. If you don't care for coriander reduce it. Cooking is about experimentation. I rarely use the spice quantities recommended.  I know what I like and I adjust for my personal taste.

How to do it:

Rinse your tenderloins and pat dry. Mix your spice mixture and rub all over tenderloins. Set aside.


In a dutch oven heat coconut oil and saute your onions over medium heat. Once your onions are translucent toss in the garlic and saute for a minute. Gently place your tenderloins over the onions and garlic and brown on both sides. Once both sides are brown toss in your herbs and the water or white wine. Place the lid on top and bake in a 325 degree oven for about  1 1/2 to 2 hours. Check occasionally to make sure there is liquid in the pot and to drizzle the liquid over your tenderloins. If the pot becomes dry (it shouldn't) add a little more wine or water. When your tenderloin is done it will be easy to break up with a fork.


No comments:

Post a Comment