Sunday, July 24, 2011

Peaches and Sausage

Peaches and Sausage
Apples and Sausage is one of my favorite dishes. During a trip to Riley's Farm in Oak Glen, CA I was introduced to this tasty little early American dish at the Hog's Head Colonial Restaurant. It was love at first bite! Naturally I recreated the dish and we eat it every so often when I am at a loss for what to cook.

Today was definitely a day where I was not so much out of ideas but out of time. We took our children to Wild Rivers for a day of water slide fun. Before I left this morning I took some gorgeous pork bratwurst out of the freezer just so I could make Apples and Sausages when we returned. When we got home I realized there was a big problem. I was out of apples! I try to buy seasonal produce and apples well... just aren't in season. Sure I keep a few around but yesterday when I did the shopping I didn't buy a single apple. But I did buy California peaches. Peaches, pork bratwurst? Really? I know what your thinking " Paleo Chickie did you get too much water up your nose today? Spend too much time in the sun?" Yes, I did. But that is not the point! The point is that this is GOOD!!!
Peaches, red pearl onions, tarragon, and thyme.

Normally when I make Apples and Sausages I add in fresh thyme and oregano from the garden. Fresh herbs are not only delicious but they provide minerals that are lost when herbs are dried. Even if you live in a tiny apartment grow a pot of fresh herbs on your windowsill. My daughter has a mini herb garden sitting on her windowsill. I am training her for a lifetime of culinary pleasure and good health.
Peaches and oregano? Maybe, but I happen to have some tarragon growing right now. Tarragon has a licorice like flavor. I am certain your thinking I am quite mad, licorice flavored herbs, peaches, and pork, yuck! Trust me, its GOOD!

Before we go any further let's talk pork bratwurst. Whole Foods sells a mean pork bratwurst that is simply meat and spices. Some bratwurst contain fillers like wheat or even canola oil! Seriously! If you can't purchase the Whole Foods pork bratwurst look for sausages that are as simple as possible.  Make sure you read the label! I can't begin to recount the number of times I have brought home something that looked healthy only to find hidden dairy, wheat, or unsavory oils.

I love to buy fresh local produce when I can. California grown is important to me. I like to support local farms as well as have produce that didn't have to travel across the country or even the world to get to me. When I buy California grown my produce is always fresher and lasts longer. This week I found some beautiful  red pearl onions. Naturally I had to add those into my peach, pork bratwurst dinner.

Slightly frozen sliced pork bratwurst.
I whipped up my savory Peaches and Sausage in about 30 minutes and it was a hit! The best part was that the peaches created a delicious sauce. Next time I am serving it over sweet potatoes!

What you need:

6 small red pearl onions chopped or 1 large red or brown onion chopped, whatever you have on hand will work.

2 ripe peaches cut into small pieces or chunks, it's up to you.

6-8 pork bratwurst sausages slightly frozen, sliced into pieces. If your buying Whole Foods 6. If not add more! Slightly frozen results in easier to cut.

3 sprigs fresh tarragon finely chopped.

3 sprigs fresh thyme finely chopped.

4 Tablespoons coconut oil

How to do it:

Saute your onions in the coconut oil over medium high heat. Coconut oil unlike olive oil can be used to cook at higher heat. Coconut oil has a higher smoking point than olive therefore more stable and less likely to oxidize and become damaged. I use a lot of coconut oil for that reason. If your afraid of coconut oil don't be. It is delicious and nutritious. Here is a fantastic article explaining the misconceptions surrounding coconut oil.  http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/541-new-look-at-coconut-oil

When your onions are nice and browned toss in your sausage. I should not have to tell you to stir everything occasionally, right? Good. When your sausage is browned add in your chopped herbs and peaches. Cook (don't forget to stir) until your sausages are cooked through and your peaches have softened quite a bit. You should have a beautiful tasty sauce at the bottom your pan from the peaches and the juices from the sausage. My children loved this dish. Of course I did have to tell my son the Ninja Warrior that the peaches were in fact nectarines. He is 6 and has fuzzy fruit issues. This wonderful dish serves 4.

I served this delightful meal with a big salad made from dinosaur kale, red butter lettuce, radishes, heirloom tomato, and avocado with a olive oil vinaigrette dressing. Everything fresh and locally produced.




The leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment