Friday, July 22, 2011

Tasty Baked Chicken

Tasty Baked Chicken!


I refuse to believe eating a correct diet equates to less tasty. Since I must eat a Paleo diet for the sake of my health I have an enormous incentive to enjoy everything I can eat. I have found that I enjoy eating a Paleo diet much more than my previous "optimal" American diet. I am a heck of a lot healthier and feel more satiated and nourished.  As a person who used to battle hypoglycemia not being hungry all the time and feeling good after I eat instead of sick is nothing short of miraculous.

This dish is one of my favorite due to the ease of preparation. Making this dish truly easy requires maybe ten minutes after you load the morning dishes in the dishwasher. All you need to do is season your chicken with olive oil and spice and leave it in the fridge to marinate.  The longer it marinates the more flavorful the chicken. 


What you need:

6 chicken legs, skin on. I prefer Mary's Air Chilled chicken due to its superb flavor and tenderness.
Paprika
Garlic powder
Ground sage
Dried marjoram
Fresh ground pepper
Garlic infused olive oil or regular extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves peeled.  I buy my garlic pre-peeled and ready to use. It is a little more expensive but worth it since I use so much garlic.

How to do it:

Place your chicken in a large plastic container or bowl.  Sprinkle very generous amounts of the paprika, garlic powder, sage,and marjoram over your chicken. Don't be shy with the spices! Add a nice sprinkling of freshly ground pepper but not too much. Pour over a generous amount of olive oil. Using your hands rub the olive oil and spice all over the chicken until all the pieces are nicely coated.  Add your garlic cloves. Cover and place in the fridge for 3-24 hours. Again the longer it marinates the tastier the chicken.

When your ready to cook heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place your chicken on a foil lined baking dish or pan. I like to use a deep flat baking sheet lined with non stick foil. Pour any remaining marinade over the chicken. Don't forget the garlic cloves! They need to go in the oven too!Place the chicken in the oven for about an hour.  When the chicken is ready the skin will be golden brown and have pulled away from the bottom of the legs. Once the chicken is out of the oven scoop up all the beautiful juices and the garlic from the bottom of the pan and pour back over the chicken and serve. Serves 4.

I serve this meal with a large mixed green salad and usually a seasonal fruit for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment